Our client is a prominent, growing investment banking firm that advises and facilitates trading in a full range of financial products across Fixed Income, Equities, Foreign Exchange, Carbon, Options, FICC and futures markets. As a full service brokerage firm, they have a strong and established reputation in financial markets in Australia for many years, and this is a growth position available as an Associate on the Carbon Trading desk.
This team supports institutional client in energy and environmental markets, and the Sydney commodities desk assists a range of Insto clients trading carbon and renewable energy certificates.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join the Sydney team on the Power, Environmental & Agricultural broking Sales Trading desk. These three functions are also referred to as the Carbon, Energy & Dairy team. They offer execution to institutional clients only within markets across both Australia and NZ primarily. In Australia they offer Institutional trading/execution only, and are not a retail broker in Australia.
The ideal profile for this position would be an applicant with several years of financial markets experience within FICC, ideally with a focus on energy or renewables certificate trading or middle office support. Strong middle office experience within energy, treasury OTC or FICC OTC with the capacity to step-up to a client engagement role as a broker in sales trading would also be held in high regard – although our client is ideally seeking direct Front Office client execution experience.
Our client will also consider an experienced junior commodity broker coming from an established competitor who would be keen to bring their clients across to work for our client. Any prior experience dealing in Carbon, Energy or Dairy markets, or middle office FICC experience would be very interesting to the team.
They are based in great offices in the heart of the CBD, and have a high-performing relaxed work environment.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone looking for fantastic hands-on commodity broking sales trading experience with a small team, but part of a growing investment banking team.
The role will include the following responsibilities:
- To grow brokerage income and promote the services of the energy/renewables OTC trading desk to new and current clients.
- Follow up on leads with the intention of developing prospective clients into active trading clients.
- Handle client servicing and trade executions.
- Sell trade ideas and company products to existing clients.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in finance or related discipline
- Previous experience in a related financial markets role: ideally several years of FICC focused client engagement or sales trading experience
- Knowledge of derivatives and commodities is essential
- Ability to work well under pressure and excellent communication skills
The salary will be competitive depending on experience, and variable based on prior experience that you bring to the team. Ideally the firm is seeking an applicant relatively early in their career, with ideally 2-6 years’ post-graduate experience.