Salary description: Up to $65k AUD base salary
- $50-100k AUD Equivalent
- 1 to 3 years of experience
Our client is a global trading firm seeking a young and enthusiastic junior to join their trading desk as a trainee commodity trader in a commodity trading support role in Sydney.
Broadly speaking, the successful applicant would be coordinating a range of tasks in support of the Australian traders, who are based in the firm’s Sydney office. The trading desk coordinates the physical sales and delivery of a range of commodities including metals, coal, oil etc and this role will start as support for the trading team focused on the logistics and contract negotiation for the sale and physical movement on commodities and, long term, will look to become a physical commodity trader.
APPLICANTS MUST BE BASED IN AUSTRALIA AND BE AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS OR PERMANENT RESIDENTS.
- Drafting/ issuing/ reviewing of purchase and sales contracts including all related legal documents, such as Holding Certificates, storage agreements, pre-finance agreements, guarantees
- Verification of all documents with Compliance and Company internal guidelines
- Identification of issues and contractual risk and respective advice to Traders
- Documentary monitoring of the contract from the beginning to the end, including co–managing of contract changes and corrections
- Close interaction with the respective Trader and traffic persons, as well as cooperation with other teams such as Chartering, Insurance, Finance, Legal and Compliance
- Administration of Purchase and Sales contracts: Purchase/ Sales Order Entry into CTTS, Customer data handling / processing and maintenance, including updating and amending the current data in the internal data system. Filing of documents and archiving;
- Depending on the respective task area, the Contract Writer/ Administrator may have direct contact with customers and/ or colleagues in field offices
Additional responsibilities include
- Vessel chartering or container shipments in co-operation with the chartering department; organising rail, truck and air transport or releasing of material in warehouse
- Opening of and checking of Letters of Credit for the firm’s suppliers and receivers; requesting amendments and negotiating documents for collection of payment
- Calculation of metal quantity and foreign currency amounts to be priced Contact to clients / field offices
- Correspondence on availability of materials in production, transit and in stock; documentation, invoicing, outgoing and incoming payments, client exposure control and claim handling
- Insuring risks of each transport as well as material in storage
- Only 1-3 years post-university experience – this is a trainee role so our client will not look at candidates with too much experience
- Ideally some exposure to logistics or commodities
- Tertiary qualifications with a background in Business/Engineering or a commodities related field
- Very strong communication and presentation skills